About Susan Clelland
My practice is dedicated solely to mediation, with a focus on separation, divorce, and parenting conflicts. In addition to my private practice, I am a volunteer mediator for the Westchester Mediation Center of CLUSTER Inc.
My role as a mediator is to hear and understand both parties, help the parties focus on the issues that need to be resolved, and support them in generating possible solutions. This process has the potential not only to produce lasting agreements, but to strengthen the parties’ ability to resolve future conflicts.
Prior to becoming a mediator, my career was in non-profit management, fundraising, and communications, which required a working knowledge of personal finance and tax law, and an ability to identify shared interests and bring parties to agreement. I decided to become a mediator after personal experience with a mediated divorce.
I am convinced that choosing mediation is one of the best things you can do to protect your emotional and financial well-being during and after a divorce. I am excited to have joined the field at a time when more and more couples are choosing mediation over attorney-driven divorce. I hope that my work as a mediator will contribute to the establishment of mediation as the new norm.
- Basic Mediation Training, Westchester Mediation Center of CLUSTER Inc. www.clusterinc.org/programs-and-services/westchester-rockland-mediation-centers
- Custody and Visitation Mediation Training, Westchester Mediation Center of CLUSTER Inc.
- Basic Training in Divorce Mediation, Center for Mediation and Training, NY, NY. www.divorcemediation.com
- Advanced Divorce Mediation Training, Ackerman Institute for the Family, NY, NY. www.ackerman.org.
- BA in Music and Psychology, Columbia College, Columbia University.
- MPA in Management and Finance, School of International and Public Affairs, Columbia University.
- Custody and Visitation Mediation Program, Westchester Mediation Center of CLUSTER Inc.
- Volunteer Mediator, Small Claims Court, Westchester and Rockland Counties
- Mediator Member, New York State Council on Divorce Mediation
- Member, Academy of Professional Family Mediators
- Member, Family and Divorce Mediation Council of Greater New York